5 Foods to Keep Away from your Cat

Jane MillerCat NutritionLeave a Comment

Last updated: February 8, 2018

We know cats are such picky eaters, it is necessary to choose a food that isn’t just nutritious but also that they enjoy eating it! Obviously, they probably want to eat whatever you are eating, since there is nothing superior to human food! So, when you consider giving them a taste of whatever you are eating, you need to make sure that they don’t reach such foods that are dangerous for them.

Moreover, as we consider the cats to be our family members, so treating cats in this way at the mealtimes can cause them more damage than simply ruining their meals. Here are 5 foods to keep your cat away from:

Alcohol

We see that cats are attracted to the drinks with cream or milk in them. Mixed drinks aside, the alcohol can likewise be found in the deserts and it can be made in the cat’s stomach on the off chance that they ingest store-bought or homemade yeast dough utilized as a part of making pizza, rolls, and bread. It is because the alcohol has a similar impact on the cat’s brain and liver that it has on the humans. Indeed, an even little measure of alcohol both formed in the stomach and ingested through the alcoholic beverages can be hazardous, making it essential to call veterinarian before you see any serious harming symptoms such as seizures. So, you need to keep alcoholic beverages and other alcoholic products away from your cat.

Milk and Dairy Products

Cats enjoy drinking milk but remember that milk is not really good for cats. They have a problem digesting lactose in the milk that can cause diarrhea or other stomach problems. Most of the cats are just presented to the lactose from mother’s milk when they’re kittens. Since little cats just drink from mother’s milk for some weeks, their stomach is not prepared to deal with the reintroduction of lactose. While few cats experience no difficulty tolerating milk, such cats aren’t recommended to drink anything besides mother’s milk while they are kittens, because of the possibility of the digestive problems.

Grapes and Raisins

Another food to keep your cat away from is grapes and raisins. These foods are often been utilized as treats for cats. But it is not a good idea to feed your cats grapes and raisins. These foods can cause various diseases like diarrhea, abdominal pain, decreased urination lethargy and reduced appetite; it can even lead to kidney failure.  However, it is not clear why the grapes and raisins can cause them kidney failure. Hyperactivity and repeated vomiting are early signs of kidney failure in cats due to ingestion of grapes and raisins. There are some cats doesn’t show any ill effects, in any case, it is best to keep your cat away from grapes and raisins to prevent any possible dangers.

Onions and Garlic

Some of the most important foods not to feed your cat are onions, scallions, shallots, and garlic as these foods can harm the red blood cells of your cat and can lead to anemia. Such foods are ordinarily harmful when they are eaten in the extensive quantities, yet exposure to the concentrated forms of garlic or onion, for example, garlic powder or onion soup mix, can likewise be poisonous for your cat. Cats with the indications of pale gums, laziness, weakness, orange to dark red urine and reduced appetite ought to be taken to the veterinarian promptly. The occasional little dose probably will not hurt. However, if they eat large amount once or smaller amounts of dose routinely can cause anemia. Alongside onions, the chives and garlic can also cause the gastrointestinal upset. All things considered, the sooner you analyze potential harming in your cat the better, so if they are acting strangely or if you notice various symptoms like pale gums, laziness, and weakness etc don’t hesitate to call your vet. People use brewer’s yeast with garlic to remove ticks from cats but you should omit the garlic as it is toxic to cats.

Chocolate

Another dangerous food for cats is Chocolate. It can be deadly for your cat. Though most cats don’t eat chocolate on their own, they can be urged to eat it by their owners who think they are giving their cat a treat but they don’t know that toxic agent in the chocolate is theobromine. The theobromine is present in all kind of chocolates, even in the white chocolate and the most hazardous ones are unsweetened baking chocolate and dark chocolate. For cats, eating chocolate can cause seizures, tremors, abnormal heart rhythm, and even death. You may have heard that chocolate can be harmful to the dogs, however, it is similarly as toxic for the cats too. The chocolate also contains substances called methylxanthines that can cause increased thirst, abdominal discomfort, muscle tremors, high body temperature, vomiting, and diarrhea. If your cat is going through these symptoms, call your veterinarian immediately.

Kathie Lukas is a freelance writer. She’s a passionate pet lover her topic areas mostly cover pet health and pet grooming and loves to travel and has never ending love for food. She has completed her graduation in animal sciences from the Kansas state University. You can find her on twitter @iamkathilukas.

Jane Miller

Hi! I’m a certified cat lover and an unapologetic writer! That’s why I created SweetieKitty! Born in Connecticut, one sunny day of April, during the most interesting decade of past century! Nowadays I live in South Carolina, with my three tomcats! I’d love to read your comments on my article!

Related Articles